Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Finding a good read? - The Three Weissmanns of Westport


I love reading. It’s probably one of the best influences I got from my mom’s side, the Abellas. And because I share the same hobby with my aunts especially, I have the privilege of acquiring books from best-selling authors without spending a single centavo.

From time to time, my auntie Linda sends a package full of books she’s done with. It would usually contain the latest from Iles, Baldacci, Higgins Clark, Patterson and my all-time favorite, Grisham.

Fortunately, I work from home so when all tasks are done for the day, I still have enough time and energy to go over the shelves and find a good read.
There is nothing like the experiences brought about by the world of Fiction. John Grisham had made me want to become a lawyer at some point in my life. Paulo Coelho’s Pilgrimage and James Redfield’s The Celestine Prophecy have taken me to places I have never been. And I will never forget how I cried over the last line of Khaled Hosseini’s The Kite Runner, “For you, a thousand times over.”

I want you to experience the same. And so I will start writing some posts on books that I have read, enjoyed and liked; books that had me inspired and motivated.

I’ll start with the one which I just finished today - The Three Weissmanns of Westport. 


Betty Weissmann has just been dumped by her husband of forty-eight years. Exiled from her elegant New York apartment by her husband's mistress, she and her two middle-aged daughters, Miranda and Annie, regroup in a run-down Westport, Connecticut, beach cottage. In Schines, playful and devoted homage to Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility, the impulsive sister is Miranda, a literary agent entangled in a series of scandals, and the more pragmatic sister is Annie, a library director, who feels compelled to move in and watch over her capricious mother and sister.

Let me know some of your favorite books. Post your comments. Enjoy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment